SolSmart is a national qualification and rating system used to make it faster, easier and more affordable for communities to install solar photovoltaics (PV). Communities that achieve designation are recognized as SolSmart Gold, Silver, or Bronze.
Three prerequisites are necessary, plus credit points are awarded in these categories:
- Solar Statement of Commitment
- Permitting Checklist
- Zoning Review and Guidance
- Foundational Categories:
- Permitting (total available credits: 135)
- Planning, Zoning, and Development (total available credits: 145)
- Special Focus Category: (total available credits: 700)
- Construction Codes
- Solar Rights
- Utility Engagement
- Community Engagement
- Market Development and Finance
- Bronze: Prerequisites; plus at least 20 credits in each of the two foundational categories; plus total of 20 credits across the six Special Focus Categories)
- Silver: Fulfill requirements for SolSmart Bronze Community; plus Silver-required actions in Planning, Zoning and Development and Special Focus-Inspection categories; plus 100 credits overall from actions taken in any combination of categories.
- Gold: Fulfill requirements for SolSmart Silver Community; plus two Gold-required actions in Permitting and Planning, Zoning and Development categories; plus 200 credits overall from actions taken in any combination of categories.