Opportunities at ICLEI USA
Climate Communications Associate (12 month position)
September 15, 2020
Climate Communications Associate Position open immediately for a period of 12 months
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of more than 1,750 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active in 100+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development. Our Members and team of experts work together through peer exchange, partnerships and capacity building to create systemic change for urban sustainability.
Our vision is to support local governments such that every person lives in an inclusive, just, and climate resilient community where they can thrive. At ICLEI USA, our actions and inquisitiveness, our personal commitments and collaboration, creates an environment in which we share our perspectives and support others to do the same. Our inclusive culture empowers all of us to connect, belong, and grow.
You’re deeply committed to solving the climate crisis and recognize the inequities in our society and believe that effective communication is essential to addressing both. You have a track record of producing crisp, engaging and fact-checked communications products, such as case studies, data visualizations, social media posts, blog posts or videos, and consider the audience in your storytelling. You have an interest in local government climate action and the way in which cities and counties engage residents and businesses. You’re a recent graduate or graduate student studying climate communications and excited about where your education will take you, especially with experience at an organization like ICLEI.
Regular deliverables include digital design tasks and/or content-development tasks. We are open to selecting one Associate who has the skills to tackle both — or to hiring two associates and aligning the tasks to individual skill sets. The Climate Communications Associate will provide ICLEI and its member governments with engaging content, new visualizations of ICLEI data, and an improved online presence.
Starting Point: Digital Design
ICLEI USA has worked with more than 600 cities, towns, and counties to measure, track, plan, and implement climate and sustainability goals. Much of our data is contained in the ICLEI ClearPath GHG emissions-management software. In 2019 alone, U.S. communities initiated over 500 GHG inventories. Meanwhile, we’ve compiled a Salesforce database of more than 2,500 actions from local climate plans.
Digital Design Projects
- Update to icleiusa.org. We seek to update our website, hosted on WordPress and supported by the Divi Builder development console. See ICLEI Canada as examples of a website we’d like to emulate.
- Sustainability Data Dashboard. This data visualization project will utilize Microsoft Power BI and include visualizations using external platforms, such as Tableau. The dashboard may include the following:
- Update in real time as ICLEI-generated data is saved by our member governments, such as hosted on our ClearPath emissions-management tool.
- Display year-over-year changes in climate data, such as GHG emissions by individual governments or across the ICLEI network, the number of Climate Action Plans published, and useful insights from data presented in the plans.
- Display sectoral GHG emissions in intriguing ways
- Allow for ICLEI stakeholders to comment or interact with the data in some way
- Include user-defined indicators, such as for social wellbeing or economic impact, alongside GHG emissions data
- Host ICLEI Internal key performance indicators
- Display maturity of communities, such as through advancement along a “member journey”
- Allow for the dashboard to interact with a number of ICLEI organizations platforms (Salesforce, Heroku app, etc.)
- Allow for embedding on ICLEI website or a member government website
- Climate Action Plan Map (ArcGIS Storymaps). Using Esri ArcGIS StoryMap, the Associate may be asked to support ICLEI staff in development of a national map of climate action using our database of 200+ plans. Storymap examples GIS experience is not required.
- Revitalize ICLEI resources. Over our 30-year history, ICLEI has produced guidebooks, case studies, templates, and much more. Many of these remain industry standards but need a design update. The Associate will refresh these resources in ways that are engaging and appealing, such as moving away from static PDFs toward interactive online documents in Canva and Articulate. Create a design standard for ICLEI USA (building off of what WS provides)
- Update user interface of ICLEI’s GHG emissions management software, ClearPath.
Starting Point: Content Development
Each of the ICLEI network towns, cities, counties, and regions has a climate story to tell and a need to engage its residents in local action. You’re able to help them tell their stories and to weave them together to communicate the impact and value of the ICLEI network.
- Network Communication
- Twice-monthly newsletter
- Regular blog posts (about twice per month) plus social media posts several times per week, including creating social graphics for Twitter or Linkedin
- Regular webpage updates
- Case stories highlighting ICLEI cities and the organization (about monthly)
- ICLEI USA Annual Report (due February 1, 2021)
- Update ICLEI templates, including slide decks, member support materials
- Assist with reporting to ICLEI global organization
- Review and copyedit funding proposals
- ICLEI Member support. This tactical delivery of city-level climate communications will require writing, editing and developing content that is fresh, timely, accessible and of high-value for ICLEI member cities and counties. You’ll develop messages for delivery by local governments through their channels, e.g. creating media kits, press releases, Tweetcards, etc., to promote city or county climate policies, programs, or achievements. The Associate will develop a “Climate Communications Package”, or set of customizable offers, as a member benefit or fee-based service.
- Track impact. You’ll keep ICLEI USA staff updated through a quarterly brief on city-scale sustainability issues, trends and research, and provide analytics tracking for ICLEI communications: social media reach, newsletter opens, and website traffic data.
This is a U.S. virtual position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Experience with or aptitude for graphic design, use of publishing software and or content development.
$3,750 per month full time (40 hours per week) position or $1,875 per month part time (20 hours per week)
Apply by September 30. Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Send a link to your portfolio or examples of your work.
Angie Fyfe, ICLEI USA Executive Director, will guide this project via regular conference calls and a project-tracking system maintained on Google Drive.
ICLEI network jobs:
Job posting and promoting are an ICLEI USA member benefit. If you would like ICLEI to share your job posting on this page, in an upcoming newsletter and on social media, send the job description and deadline to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org