Empowering the Jackson Triangle to strengthen its climate resiliency action
What is Unite2Green Hayward
Higher than average temperatures and poor air quality, exacerbated by climate change are threats to communities along the 880 freeway such as Hayward’s Jackson Triangle neighborhood, which is 45% above the countywide rate of asthma hospitalization. The Jackson Triangle neighborhood faces an even higher vulnerability to climate change because of low quality housing stock and high percentage of renters in the area.
A partnership between ICLEI USA, the City of Hayward, and Hayward Promise Neighborhood, Unite2Green Hayward is a pilot program that will identify strategies to meaningfully engage under-served populations on climate change. Unite2Green Hayward trains youth and adults to become leaders and advocates for the betterment of their peers through climate resiliency actions. In a series of workshops and a neighborhood challenge, the Unite2Green Team will help Jackson Triangle residents save money and resources; safeguard their health; and protect their community from the effects of climate change. Additional information is available here.
ICLEI USA will use the outcome of this project to design a guidelines for other communities.
Why the Hayward Community Project
- Meaningful input of affected community members in Hayward’s climate action and adaptation plans
- Educate Hayward Jackson Triangle neighborhood residents on the effects of climate change on their families’ health, finance and security
- Introduce youth to trainings, educational opportunities and careers in the green economy
Hayward Community Project Features
- Training for students and community leaders to deliver workshops to their fellow Jackson Triangle residents
- Workshops on water, energy, waste, indoor air quality, and city climate action/adaptation planning
- Brochures, fact sheets, and other informational materials
- Friendly community challenge to take community climate actions
Join Unite2Green Hayward
Applications for Unite2Green Hayward’s Leadership Program are currently being accepted through August 31, 2015. Click here to download the application.
We welcome additional support in the Hayward area from all community members; contact us to discuss how you can get involved.
Your ICLEI Support
This project can be replicated in other communities by using the materials developed through this project and customizing it to cities. For communities that are looking to meaningfully tackle climate equity issues or for partners looking to support a similar project in your community, please contact us.
The initiative is a partnership between ICLEI, the City of Hayward, Hayward Promise Neighborhood, Hayward Unified School District, and Made in Hayward.
Unite2Green Hayward is supported by a grant from The San Francisco Foundation.