The world’s largest coalition of local leaders addressing climate change by pledging to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, track their progress, and prepare for climate impacts.
What is the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy?
Time, the Global Covenant of Mayors establishes a common global platform to capture the impact of cities’ collective actions through consistent, public reporting of their efforts. Ultimately, the Covenant provides the evidence to prove that cities are true climate leaders, and that what happens at the local level can change the world.
All cities and towns in the world may take part in the Covenant of Mayors. Upon making an initial pledge to the Covenant, cities will receive an official “Covenant of Mayors” seal, which may then be displayed publicly on web and print materials. Cities then have up to three years to meet a series of requirements to fully comply, including greenhouse gas (GHG) measurement and target setting–culminating in creating a full climate action and adaptation plan.
Why the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy?
Through the Covenant cities are:
- Increasing their visibility as leaders responding to climate change
- Demonstrating their commitment to an ambitious global climate solution, particularly their in relation to the Paris Climate Agreement
- Encouraging direct public- and private-sector investments in cities by meeting transparent standards that are similar to those followed by national governments
- Accelerating more ambitious, collaborative, and sustainable local climate action.
Global Covenant of Mayors Features
- Training webinars to introduce the Covenant of Mayors and compliance requirements
- Support and access to emissions inventory tools and support
- Covenant support staff members available to respond to individual questions on an as-needed basis
Join the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
To begin, your community pledges to take the steps outlined by the Global Covenant of Mayors to address climate change. To make this pledge, your local government can register on either of the Compact’s standard reporting platforms — carbonn Climate Registry (cCR) or CDP — or submit a letter including its name and intention to comply to email@example.com. Following its submission, cities will be contacted by the Compact support team.
Your ICLEI Support
ICLEI provides a variety of no-cost resources, training, and support to get cities started down the path of compliance with the Global Covenant of Mayors. From preparing inventories and action plans with our powerful ClearPath software to reporting emissions in the cCR, ICLEI staff and our Global Covenant partners you are available to assist you.
Compact of Mayors Founding Partners
The initiative is a partnership between ICLEI, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40), the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), and UN Habitat, announced in September 2014 by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change Michael R. Bloomberg. Visit compactofmayors.org/who-we-are to see all of our proud partners.